Thursday, January 22, 2009

Silly + Clumsy = Opportunity for Compassion

Lucy gets very silly as she grows tired. Another trait that develops is clumsiness. The combination of these two traits means that I do a lot of head-feet-and-hand dodging while doing the bedtime routine. Tonight I actually got hit; I got head butted.

Lucy was laying, bedtime ready to close with night prayers. I kissed Lucy on the check, and it was too long of a peck for her because she pushed me away with her head. No big deal, until she feels silly about it. So she throws her head a few more times, and *WHACK*, she got me right on the forehead.

Normally, I wouldn't have given much of a reaction because I've tried to build some control for those situations. Tonight, I guess I was feeling more tired than I thought. I grabbed my head and fell over into the floor. Right when I was going to react "normal" by saying, "Lucy that hurt. Please lay back down," I uncontrollably start crying. Lucy jumped up and came over. She pushed my hands away from my head and placed a long, strong kiss on my affliction. She then hugged my head. I tried to stop crying, but I couldn't for a while. Each time I could pause to take a big breathe, I'd start all over again...with Lucy still on my head, and using quite a bit of weight.

Finally, I get Lucy off and sitting up helped the crying pass. Lucy gave me a great, big hug--a sincere hug. It's the kind that is gentle, yet strong. It's kind that's long and won't end until the hurt is all gone. It's amazing that a four year old can hug like that, and a trait for which I am very grateful.

No comments: