One of Lucy's friends are church is Kelsey. Kelsey is black--her dad is from Africa and her mom is as white as me. One day playing in the front yard, Lucy said, "Mom, will you make me black?" My first thought was, "Does she me African-American black or the color black?" So I asked her what she meant.
"I want to be black like Kelsey."
"Kelsey does have beautiful skin, doesn't she?"
"Yes, Mom, and I want to be black like her."
"I don't know how to make you black, hunny."
Lucy was kind of frustrated.
I told Kelsey's mom, Lori, about this converstion, and she told me that as far as Kelsey is concerned, she (Kelsey) is not black, but light brown, and her daddy is dark brown. And her mom is just plain white.
I like children's perspectives on race. The simplicity is refreshing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment