Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Summary of Sayings on Our Utah Trip

The first time Lucy met Chris's brother, Steven, who shares a strong family resemblance, "Uncle Steven, umm...you look like my dad."


Lucy explained to her Aunt Emily (Chris's sister-in-law) her visions of her fifth birthday party while we attended a sing-in of Handel's Messiah. I felt a tapping on my shoulder from behind (where Lucy was sitting with Emily). "Hey, Mom, will you make me a Cinderella cake for my five birthday?" "Yeah." Tap, Tap on the shoulder. "Mom, will you put L, U, C, Y on it?" (Yes, she spelled it out). "Sure." Tap, Tap on the shoulder. "And, Mom, will you put birthday candles on it?" "Yeah." Lucy's reaction: she gave me a thumbs up...with a pretty serious face... and said "Yeah."


And the great diamond in the tiara of Lucyisms on the trip:

On the way back to Kentucky, we stopped at Little America in Wyoming (it's the one that it is the only thing for miles in western Wyoming--in fact, I just looked up it's address--it's Little America, Wyoming). Little America is pretty awesome for those that haven't stopped there. One of the nice perks is 50 cent ice cream cones, and while it was quite chilly when we drove through, we still stopped for ice cream. I was going to share one with Lucy, but she did not feel inclined to share with me. So since they're only fifty cents, I went ahead and got one for myself. We all load up in the van to keep driving. Lucy got down to the last couple of bites of her cone, and saw that I still had quite a bit. Here's the conversation regarding that observation:

"Mom, let's share your ice cream cone."
"Lucy, you still have a couple of bites of yours, and you didn't really share with me."
Down-cast look, "Mom," Lucy said mournfully, "that was wrong of me. I should have shared. [change voice to optimistic, excited] But we can still share yours!"

Which leads me to the thought: does it qualify as sharing if Lucy shares my stuff with me? Hmm. Deep thoughts.

3 comments:

Sharalea said...

SWEETNESS. You have got to write all of these things down! :) Or blog them...;) Tonight, I have been going through some journals my Mom wrote for me when I was 2, 3, 4 and they are HILARIOUS to read. I am working on a personal history class so things like this are on my mind...yay for Lucyisms!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! She really keeps you on your toes!

Stacey said...

That little girl cracks me up!